Living alone can be stressful – but it doesn’t have to be if you know the essentials and you have them ready. Whether you’re going to share with a roommate or you’re completely alone in an apartment, you need the following things to have a stress-free life:
- Towels: You may not think about them that much, but towels are necessities you just can’t do without. Have at least two bathroom towels and a kitchen towel, so you don’t run out when you need them.
- Emergency Light: Have any emergency light source that you can easily access. You can choose from a flashlight or candles and matches – if possible, have them all. You may not need them now, but time will come that you’ll do and the last thing you want is to run to the grocery store to buy them.
- Basic Utensils: These include a spoon and fork, and knife. Some people who have just started living alone don’t know how to cook, but be sure to have them for eating. Even if you’re going to buy delivery food and they come with fork and knives, you want to have your own utensils.
- Bedding and chairs: You don’t want to sleep on the floor, so get bedding – a new one if possible. You also need something comfy to sit on.
- Simple Toolset: You may not imagine yourself being a handyman, but now that you’re living alone, you need to know how to fix some things. A small toolset will suffice, which should include a hammer, screwdrivers specifically a flathead and a Phillips head, and pliers. Whether it is to hang a picture or simply open a can of paint, these tools are a part of the essentials of living alone in the city.
- Cleaning Kit: Mistakes and spills happen to anyone, even if you’re being extra careful or you have a cleaning lady. Have items for cleaning, such as a sponge and detergent to get rid of some future mess or spillage.
- Extra Keys: Even though you’re an organized person, it doesn’t hurt to have a spare set of keys. You can give them to someone you trust, such as a sibling, parents, or a relative nearby. Alternately, you can just keep them by the door. If ever you lock yourself out of the house, you have nothing to worry about.
If you’re new to the city, you can also benefit from an Internet connection to research about the area, such as where to go to. Use apps that can help you navigate safely, so you don’t get lost and save money on transportation expenses as well.